Monday 16 May 2011

What's in an interview?

I think there are very few things that give you an instant shot of adrenaline, but I think a job interview is one of them. There is nothing like selling yourself that gets the heart racing a bit. I know it does for me, but that may be because I have not had much experience with interviews, specifically for jobs. In fact, my last job interview may have been 6+ years ago. I mean I've had jobs during my Ph.D. but none of those required interviews. So despite my qualifications and my familiarity with the department that is about to interview me, I fully expect there to be some nerves. I also hold myself to a higher level of pressure because of my qualifications; after all I am a man of higher education and they should expect a lot from me (as much as I expect from myself). This will be different than most other interviews I've had because not only will I be expected to talk about my own past research, but I will have to show how I can add value to a different area of research. Like most things, I look forward to the challenge and wish me luck..!

No comments:

Post a Comment